The deadline for the Gatewood Prize has been extended to October 1, 2006!
The Gatewood Prize is Switchback Books' annual competition for a first full-length collection of poems by a woman writing in English between the ages of 18 and 39. It is named after Emma Gatewood, the first woman to thru-hike the Appalachian Trail.
Guidelines for the Gatewood Prize
Switchback Books editors will select at least 10 finalists and a judge will select the prizewinner, who will be recognized with a cash prize of $1000 and publication by Switchback Books.
Manuscripts remain anonymous until a winner is selected.
- Poet must be a woman between the ages of 18 and 39
- Writers who have had chapbooks of less than 42 pages printed in editions of no more than 400 copies are eligible
- Students and former students of this year's judge may not enter; close friends of the judge are also not considered eligible
- Entry fee of $20 must accompany each submission; make check payable to Switchback Books. Fee entitles entrant to a copy of the winning book. Please enclose a self-addressed 8 x 10 envelope with $1.42 postage to receive a copy
- Multiple manuscript submissions are acceptable, but each manuscript must be entered under a separate cover, with a separate entry fee
- Simultaneous submissions are acceptable; please let us know immediately if your manuscript is accepted by another publisher while under our consideration
- No revisions to submitted manuscripts will be considered; the winning manuscript may be revised before publication
- Translations ineligible
- Between 48 and 80 pages of poetry, paginated
- Bound with a removable clip and nothing more
- Include two cover pages: one with title of the manuscript only, the other with title of manuscript, name, address, telephone number, and email address
- No other cover letter necessary
- No acknowledgments page
- Anonymous (do not include your name anywhere on the manuscript itself)
- Enclose an SAS-postcard for confirmation of receipt of manuscript
- Enclose an SASE for notification of winner
- Do not enclose an SASE for return of manuscript; all manuscripts will be recycled at end of contest term
- International submissions must include US postage; IRCs will not be honored. Go to www.usps.com to purchase US postage
- TELL US IF YOU MOVE. Send new address to: email@example.com
Deadline:Envelope must be postmarked on or before October 1, 2006
Mail manuscript and entry fee to:The Gatewood Prize
PO Box 478868
Chicago, IL 60647