Friends of Switchback, Slash Pine Press, are now accepting submissions of chapbook-length manuscripts. The deets:
Slash Pine Press is pleased to announce our first call for chapbook-length manuscripts of poetry or mixed-genre. Please take a moment to familiarize yourself with our mission and submission procedures. If our aesthetic and philosophical ambitions line up with yours, please send us the best work you've got.
Mission: Slash Pine Press aims to publish two chapbook-length manuscripts a year. The press locates itself an as intellectual space where forms and intuitions make writing a process of risk and otherness—a space where the high stakes of creative inquiry make self-effacement impossible. Slash Pine fosters work that investigates the dimensions of place, whether construed as location or situation. Such work is, like the slash pine itself, able to survive in swamps and sandhills, to thrive in salt and heat, to occupy an imaginative landscape that is raw and abrasive and to expand its territory toward the interior. Neither cynical nor rhetorically meek, the work is concerned with but not limited by the map; its logic is global, written against the grain of history and biography. And where this a cut, a thick sap flows.
* DEADLINE: Postmark June 30, 2009.
* Manuscripts should be no longer than 24 pp and be either poetry or mixed-genre. We are not soliciting fiction at this time.
* No more than one poem or mixed-genre piece per page, please.
* No electronic submissions; multiple submissions OK.
* Include two title pages; one with title only; one with title, author's name, and full contact information.
* All manuscripts receive a blind reading.
* Do not send SASE. Manuscripts will be recycled and results announced on this website.
* Faculty, students, and graduates of the University of Alabama are not eligible for publication.
* Decisions will be announced in September (sooner if possible).
Please send manuscripts to:
Slash Pine Press
Department of English
University of Alabama
PO Box 870244
Tuscaloosa, AL 35487-0244
Please feel free to contact the editor at jwood (at) bama.ua.edu if you have any further questions.